From designing cargo terminals and using innovative technologies, to purchasing new equipment and reviewing operations, JAXPORT is committed to environmental protection and stewardship.
JAXPORT is leading several efforts to preserve the region’s natural environment such as championing the use of cleaner, alternative fuels, reducing engine emissions from port equipment, recycling oil used in cranes and sponsoring the following initiatives:
- As a member of the Coalition for Responsible Transportation (CRT), JAXPORT collaborates with leading cargo owners, trucking companies and ocean carriers to identify and implement environmental best practices.
- JAXPORT helped construct a 20,000-square-foot outdoor classroom at Oceanway Middle School that features hundreds of native plants, a freshwater pond and an elevated deck. Oceanway uses the facility as a hands-on classroom to teach students science and ecology.
- JAXPORT raises awareness of the endangered North Atlantic Right Whale and helps to support the Annual Right Whale Festival at Jacksonville Beach, Fla.
- JAXPORT and Greenscape of Jacksonville continue to improve the tree canopy of Jacksonville through a series of landscape projects in the city.
- JAXPORT partners with the Academy of Coastal and Environmental Sciences (ACES) to teach students the value of environmental stewardship as well as “green” business practices. ACES students participate in field studies, learn the latest GIS mapping technology, enjoy presentations by key environmental business partners and graduate with a certificate in environmental sciences.
- JAXPORT has participated in numerous tree plantings at local elementary and middle schools. In 2012, JAXPORT partnered with CSX for the Trees for Tracks program; more than 200 volunteers planted trees and enhanced the grounds of Matthew Gilbert Middle School.
- JAXPORT supports the Tree Hill Nature Center, a 50-acre nonprofit nature preserve in Jacksonville, in their work to teach local students about the ecology of the St. Johns River.
- JAXPORT is a member of the North Florida Transportation Planning Organization’s Clean Fuel Coalition, which promotes the use of environmentally friendly alternative fuels that reduce dependence on foreign oil.